Thursday, June 2, 2011

Spotlight On: Custom Vinylmation Artist Joseph

We previously talked to Custom Artist Joseph about his BioShock 9", now he is back with Anatomical Vinylmation.
In his own words from his Joe of War Customs Blog, Joseph talks about his newest creation:

This custom Vinylmation started out as just fooling around with a 3" white blank figure. I wanted to see how easy it would be to chop one in half, so I took a hair dryer to soften the vinyl, and a very big knife and boom! Easy as that. Next was coming up with something interesting to actually do with the vinyl. I stewed around with some ideas for a few days and finally settled on making an anatomical Mickey.
I thought it would be cool to show the insides of a Mickey without being too gross and graphic. I think I pulled it off with some cute details and only a few dabs of blood on the brain.




The lungs, intestines, brain, ear brain, cartoony heart, and realistic heart were sculpted with Aves Apoxie. Rare earth magnets about 1/16 of an inch can be used to interchange the cartoony and realistic heart like an accessory.
I painted the outside muscles in patterns so they would look like they could move independantly. My girlfriend thought it would be cool to do part of the head as a skull and the other part as muscle tissue. I took Val's advice and love how it turned out thanks babe!!!
For the skull half, I painted the pie eye with some brain seen through it. The only marker I used was for the teeth and the crack on the top of the skull. I made the crack in the skull so that the ear would look like it was brain sort of coming out of the skull just for a cool effect.
Finally for a base I tried to give it a rusty metal feel, so I gave a McFarlane Halo helmet display a full repaint. Added more magnets to the top of the base, and Mickey's head stays on easily (even weighing as much as it does with all that Apoxie brain!)

No comments:

Post a Comment