Monday, July 23, 2012

Spotlight On: Custom Vinylmation Artist NRB Relic


The customs on the new Vinylmation 95 mold just keep rolling in (pun intended). This time around we feature the Lake Arrowhead, CA artist NRB Relic. This is one of those artists we had seen everywhere for a long while now, including last year's D23 Expo, but have yet to officially spotlight. You can find more of her stunning work at www.NRBRelic.com.

Destination Vinylmation: Is this your first Vinylmation 95 Custom?
NRB Relic: Matter of fact yes it is...! When the news was released about the Vinylmation 95 mold I was very excited... as I am sure were so many other custom artists. When I saw them first hand at Downtown Disney's Grand opening of the Wonderground Gallery I knew then that I would be making CYO 95 Vinylmation an important addition to my canvases that I use.

DV: What inspired you to choose POTC as the subject of your Vinylmation 95 custom?
NRB Relic: Well Pirates of the Caribbean  is really one of my favorite movies and attractions at Disneyland. I remember when I was small, hiding my head in my Grandmother's lap when we would reach the talking skull on the POTC attraction, it just terrified me! But it has remained my favorite to this day.

DV: Your designs are always intricate and well thought out... and Bound for Davy Jones Locker is no different. Tell us about a few of the features on this custom.
NRB Relic: Well, like I had mentioned before the talking skull made such a impression on me as a kid it had to be a major feature. And as you can see it is dead center on the hood. Yes I went there...Lol. The 95 mold really lent itself well as a boat so painting the wood planking was really fun. Every Pirate ship has rope as part of the outer workings of the ship so I incorporated that on the tires. I wanted to add some whimsy, something a bit comical, to the piece so that's where Jack behind a ship's wheel with the terrified look on his face was so perfect.

By the way I will be adding the crazy little monkey (Jack) in the front seat along with Jack. I think that would just make it even more comical and perfect. It just makes me smile thinking about it...! But the Kraken legs reaching with it's curling long tentacles around Jack's ship (95 mold) getting ready to pull him down to Davey Jones locker was the most important ingredient in the design. That is what I think gave it the wow factor! You mentioned detail....well I am planning on adding a bit more detail some traditional items you would find on a ship like crates more rope etc before I send it to it's new owner.

DV: What was the most challenging part of this design?
NRB Relic: With this piece the real challenge was coming up with a great idea a great story, which I try to incorporate into every piece. Well for the first time in a long time I truly had artist block! Once the idea presented it self though it just flowed. I actually finished this piece in record time for me. Just 12hrs.

DV: As an artist, what is the major difference between working on a Lightning McQueen shaped mold as opposed to Mickey?
NRB Relic: Right off being able to work horizontally instead of only vertically like on Mickey. Mickey has always been a challenge when painting scenes making them flow in a vertical application, it sometimes has made things challenging, but Vinylmation 95's horizontal shape makes it just a bit easier and opens the door to a whole world of new ideas.....! It is really is endless.

DV: Did you enjoy working on the Vinylmation 95 mold enough to do more?
NRB Relic: Absolutely...! I have so many new and exciting ideas rolling around in my head and in the works as we speak.

DV: Can you give us any hints to what we might see next?
NRB Relic: Hot Flashes and sharp teeth

No comments:

Post a Comment