Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Unbelievable eBay Auction

I need to preface this article with the fact that I am in no way endorsing this listing, but I think it is so absurd, I need to share it with you. Also a thank you to Kevin for showing it to us. A seller from Hawaii has listed what he calls in the item description "The FIRST Disney Vinylmation Ever." It is a 3" blank white create your own sealed in a clear plastic bag.
As you can see, it has an official Walt Disney World price sticker and bar code. I did know CYOs were officially the first Vinylmation release but apparently, and I admit I did not know this, the first release of CYOs were not in boxes in the stores, but in clear bags at the November 2008 Festival of the Masters. (If a reader can verify this info, I'd appreciate it)

If that is true, this vinyl, in fact, is part of a first run of Vinylmation released to the public and therefore does hold a special place in Vinylmation history. In my opinion it would also hold a certain value to collectors. Especially if you consider that, most likely, very few guests kept these in the sealed bags. But I wouldn't think the value is as high as this seller would like it to be.
Starting bid is $5,000! With a buy it now at 10 grand. A bit over zealous in my humble opinion... but I also thought $500+ for a variant was a bit high as well. Do you agree this may in fact be a part of Vinylmation history? What would you pay or trade to add this to your collection? I do not fault the seller for reaching for the stars here. I mean if someone bites, that's a heck of a return on investment. You may as well give it a try, but I'd be more than shocked if it sells at this price. If you would like to take a look at this listing for yourself, check it out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment