Monday, October 3, 2011

Spotlight On: Custom Vinylmation Artist Lindsey Malchak

Today we feature Vinylmation Custom Lindsey Malchak from New York. Living 1,200 miles away from Walt Disney World hasn't deterred her spirit. She creates custom pieces under the name Vinylmation Chic Customs. Let's take a look at her work.

Destination Vinylmation: Were you into creating artwork before custom vinylmation?

Lindsey: Yes, I have always loved looking at and creating artwork. I took a lot of art classes all through school. My mom is also a big inspiration, she is a great artist. I love painting, especially abstract pieces.

DV: How many customs have you done?

Lindsey: I have finished two, "Mickey Waffle" and "Mickey Gets Creative", but have many in the works.

DV: Do you collect Disney's Vinylmation?

Lindsey: Yes, I began collecting in February of 2011. I collect both the 3" and the 9" figures, and currently have about 100 of them combined.

DV: What is your favorite figure?

Lindsey: I have so many favorites, but I really love all of the Urban 1 figures, especially "Oopsy" and "Monster". I also love the 9" 35th Space Mountain Anniversary figure.

DV: What is the inspiration behind the Mickey Waffle figure?

Lindsey: The "Mickey Waffle" figure definitely has a lot of meaning for me. I got the inspiration from past WDW vacations with my family. One of the best memories I have from the two Disney vacations that I've been on is eating Mickey waffles in the morning with my family before we headed to the parks. I knew the second that I got my first CYO figure that the Mickey waffle idea would be my first design.

DV: How did you go about creating this unique design?

Lindsey: I wanted to create an interesting design but still keep it simple. I spray painted the figure a golden yellow, and then used a sponge brush to layer the darker brown color over it. I then handpainted the "dripping" syrup and the rest of the details on the face and body. I added the fruit details on the feet for an extra touch.

DV: What have you learned from creating your customs that you can pass onto other artists?

Lindsey: Patience is key. The hard work pays off when you achieve the results you desire.

DV: What's next?

Lindsey: I have a few pieces in the works. One is going to be a 9" figure, and the other will be a 9"/3" set. Here's some hints: the 9" figure will be a character from Toy Story 3 that has not already been used in the TS3 set sold in stores. The 9"/3" set will be based off of a short Disney film.

DV: Do you sell your work?

Lindsey: If anyone is interested, they can contact me about purchasing one of my customs! Check out my Facebook page or E-mail me at vmchiccustoms@gmail.com.

DV: Thank you for sharing your work with our audience.

Lindsey: Thank you so much for featuring me!

No comments:

Post a Comment