Thursday, October 20, 2011

Spotlight On: Custom Artist Rust This World

By now, you know the way to my heart is show me some video game related custom Vinylmation. Today, we feature artist Rust This World from Santa Fe, New Mexico.

Destination Vinylmation: You created a series of figures based on the popular Kingdom Hearts video game franchise. How many figures are in this series?
Rust This World: There are 5 figures so far, but eventually (meaning if I don't get sidetracked on another project) I'm hoping to have 12 plus a couple 9".

DV: What characters did you decide to include?
RTW: When I first started collecting Vinylmation, I was most drawn to the Villains series as I love the darker side of Disney. I wanted to include a couple different Heartless designs to include with my other villains. It just spread from there.

DV: Which one was the most difficult to design and why?
RTW: Either the 3 magic Heartless or the shadow Heartless. Both stray away from the traditional "figure stretched onto mickey's form" that a lot of vinyls (including some of my own) follow. I'm often disappointed with how most official Disney artists aren't creative with translating characters onto the canvas, so I at least wanted a couple of mine to look different. The shadow heartless was also fun because I made it on a clear yellow body so that when it's held up to the light, the Shadows' eye light up.

DV: That one does look great. Are there any more characters from Kingdom Hearts in the works?
RTW: I'm working on two 9" vinyls right now that are about 1/2 way done based on two of the worlds from Kingdom Hearts: Hallow Bastion and The World That Never Was.

DV: What is your favorite Kingdom Hearts game in the franchise?
RTW: The first one, I loved the combat and platforming gameplay and the plot hadn't become ridiculously complicated at that point. Plus there was something so cool about getting to run around and interact in the awesome Disney worlds that I'd only seen in movies.

DV: What do you like most about the Kingdom Hearts games?
RTW: It's a great gameplay engine crossed with childhood nostalgia for Disney films.

DV: What have you learned from creating your customs that you can pass onto other custom artists?
RTW: There are a couple tips that apply to any custom. 1. Always wash the vinyl and then paint a base coat, both insure that the detail paint with be applied cleaner and more evenly. 2. Invest in a tiny brush, size 000 or 0000, it helps achieve clean lines and tiny detail. 3. Seal your vinyl with a sealer or varnish to insure a clean even look and to prevent paint rub.

DV: Is your work available for purchase?
RTW: All of the vinyls I've made are in my own personal display, but I'm more than willing to recreate them or accept commissions if people like my designs.

DV: Where can people go to see more of your work and contact you?
RTW: My website, which is more of an online portfolio, is rustthisworld.com it has all of my vinylmation as well as custom action figures and Kidrobot vinyls, plus a bunch of unrelated stuff like my Battlebots and other projects. My email is evolvedbutter@aol.com or pm me on the Vinylnation boards, username: Rust This World.

DV: Great job on this KH series! Thank you for sharing your work with our audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment