Monday, October 10, 2011

Spotlight On: Custom Vinylmation Artist Crazy4Vinyls


Crazy4Vinyls from Chatham, IL is our newest spotlight subject. He decided to take his first crack at custom Vinylmation, or really artwork of anykind, buy making a delicious set of famous candy.

DV: Destination Vinylmation: Do you collect Disney's Vinylmation?
Crazy4Vinyls: Yes I do collect, and my wife calls it my obsession.  I started back when Park 2 came out.  When we went to WDW for a trip we started buying them.  I was able to get 8 of them and I remember my wife saying we need to stop because we spent enough on them.  Oh how I wish I would have bought more, maybe I could have got Pongo. I didn't buy anymore until our last trip in Feb of this year.  I came home with about 40 more and now I am hovering near 200 of them.

DV: What is your favorite Disney Vinylmation figure?
Crazy4Vinyls: My favorite by far was the first blind box that I bought which was the little green man from Toy Story.  I just love that character in the movie.  I don't know how many times I have quoted him and my son telling me to stop.

DV: What is your personal favorite custom that you have done?
Crazy4Vinyls: Well I have only done the set of 4 M & M guys, but I do have a favorite.  I really like how the orange one turned out.  The look on his face makes me think that someone is going to eat him.  I really like the worried look!

DV: How did you come up with the idea for the M&Ms?
Crazy4Vinyls: I was trying to create customs that I had never seen before and I wanted to include something with pop culture because I think those characters/logos are instantly recognizable.  I also thought they would look great on the mickey mold and not too many details for a first timer.

DV: Are M&Ms your favorite candy?
Crazy4Vinyls: M & M's are one of my favorites, love the peanut ones!

DV: What have you learned from creating your customs that you can pass onto other custom artists?
Crazy4Vinyls: Well I have only done the 4, so I don't think I can tell anyone else any secrets that I have found.  I will say that I was worried about creating the "m" on the front of each one.  So what I did was trace an "m" out on painter's tape, then I cut it out.  I stuck it on the vinyl and painted over it with my coats.  When it was dry, I carefully removed the "m" and then filled it in with white paint.

DV: What's next?
Crazy4Vinyls: Well I am calling my series of customs pop culture vinylmations. I even created a logo and included on the back of the collector's cards.   So without giving anything away, let's just say I grew up in the 80's and I am inspired by that era.  I also like to create works that I have never seen before.  So as soon as I can get my hands on some white CYO's (those are hard to find) I will get busy on my next set.

DV: Thank you for sharing your work with our audience.
Crazy4Vinyls: Thanks for doing this spotlight on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment