Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Spotlight On: Custom Vinylmation Artist Ryan Marella

To have your custom work spotlighted, please send an email to DestinationVinylmation@gmail.com
-

Destination Vinylmation: Today, we would like to feature your Avengers customs. You seem to have assembled the whole team here. Why don't you run down the list and point out a detail from each you are most proud of.
Ryan Marella: Creating the Avengers was a lot of fun. I started work on  Captain America first, then I made the HULK, Iron-Man, Thor, Black Widow, Nick Fury and finally Hawkeye. I'm most proud of how all their faces turned out, that really makes a difference when trying to create movie characters. I actually researched each actors faces to see their expressions.

DV: Which one was the hardest to create?
RM: The hardest ones to create would have to be Thor & Black Widow. Getting the right look on their hair and faces took some time.

DV: Do you have a favorite? Both in the comics and as a custom?
RM: My favorite would have to be Black Widow from the customs and Iron Man in the comics.

DV: You also created a 9" Spiderman and 3" Peter Parker combo. There is a ton of detail here, but I especially notice the city scape in the eyes and ears. How long did it take to paint this one?
RM: There is a lot of detail I put into both these customs. Inspiration is one thing that drives me to create these amazing customs. I worked all night and all morning on the 9" Spider-Man which took me 15 hours to finish. I finished the next day and then after I started work on the 3" Peter Parker in Spidey suit, which I finished within 5 hours time. The cityscape on the eyes came from the Image I was using, I was just going to paint it all white at first, but later changed my mind and used the cityscape to give the effect of glare on his eyes.I also put it on the ears to show that look as if was swinging through the city.

DV: Visit Ryan's website at www.ryactiv.sketchlab7.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment