Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Spotlight On: Custom Vinylmation Artist Ryan Marella

To have your custom work spotlighted, please send an email to DestinationVinylmation@gmail.com
-

Destination Vinylmation: In this article, we will focus on some of your Disney character customs. The Evil Queen is amazing!!! The face is spot-on with the calm yet evil looking expression. But for me, the poison apple steaming in the cauldron is the best part. What do you like best about the front of this one?
Ryan Marella: I had to create some thing different from the ordinary vinyl that we usually see, so I began sketching out ideas and the Idea of having scenes from the movie on the front and back of a vinyl would look amazing. I watched the movie and Googled images of the Evil Queen and it turned out just the way I planned it. My favorite part about the front would have to be the face of the Evil Queen, getting that expression was a fun challenge.

DV: The back is like a whole new vinyl. It's the Old Hag. You have a knack for painting faces, and this one seems difficult, but I also heard hands are difficult for artists to get just right. Which half of this vinyl was more difficult?
RM: The back was a little easier and I would have to say that hands are a little harder for me than faces.

DV: Lastly we come to Maleficent. You pack so much detail into your creations, how much pre-planning goes into your designs?
RM: Maleficent is one of my favorite pieces that I've worked on, I took my time on this one. Pre-planning for this one only took a couple of hours, but sketching on the vinyl  took some time. I do a lot more sketching on the actual vinyl than on paper, it helps to see how it looks on the canvas your working on.

I've seen other Maleficent customs but I never see  Diablo the raven  incorporated into the vinyl. I wanted to create a Maleficent custom that would be unique and different from other artists.

DV: I have seen a ton of Maleficent dragons now, and I love the way you painted yours onto the mold like a scene instead of trying to fill the entire canvas with the dragon. Tell us about your favorite parts of this one.
RM: My favorite part of the Maleficent custom would have to be  the Dragon on the back, I put so much time and detail, creating smoke on the background,smoke on the nose and fire in front of the dragon and just the over all look. This particular custom took me 2 days to finish. I was very pleased with what I made. With a little inspiration and some time anything is possible.

DV: To see more of Ryan's work visit his website: www.ryactiv.sketchlab7.com

No comments:

Post a Comment