Tuesday, November 20, 2012

A Zloser Hook at Zooper Heroes

The Vinylmation Blog likes to hold back secrets at times, but they had no problem divulging the identity of the Zooper Heroes yesterday.
This is the next 12 figure mystery series that will hit Disney Stores and online on December 10th. The blind boxes will retail for $9.95 and are full of various animals dressed up as super heroes.
To me, the classic comic book packaging is the best part about this set and becomes an early front runner for best packaging at the '13 Dee Vees. When this series was first announced at Mickey's Circus, I was skeptical. It seemed to be an odd design to place on the Mickey platform. I compare it slightly to Extreme Wrestlers. Neither use the vast library of Disney characters. Instead, the artists imagine their own characters to populate the set. The difference between the two sets is that the wrestler designs seemed to hit home with me, while this set does not. I think, however, the Zooper Heroes will be an instant hit among children who spot the product on store shelves.

Overall, the designs are nice enough to make a fun cartoon or comic strip... and even sell some action figures. But on the Mickey canvas, I'd rather see the Disney characters as super heroes... and I would buy that series in a second. I understand Disney needs to target a variety of audiences with it's Vinylmation products and this one is not for me. But I do not understand why the Disney Store is focusing on non-Disney sets these days. The DS artists do an amazing job with the characters, and I hope they shift focus in 2013. I will give them acknowledgment for wonderful use of accessories lately. They go above and beyond when it comes to hats, Cinderella's slipper and now that toy duck the female bird is pulling around in this set.

Wild Prediction: There will be a variant for each of the 12 figures that shows the Zooper Hero in their "normal" alter ego.

No comments:

Post a Comment