Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Spotlight On: Custom Vinylmation Artist John Ward



Destination Vinylmation: What have you been up to lately?
John Ward: I've recently been working on holiday themed customs. It started with Evilos' Blind Bag series 3, I did 4 holiday themed customs for that series, three 3" customs and one "Grand Prize" 9", each with sculpted elements.

The 9" which I call "Christmas at Mickey's" was very difficult to complete and make it look right. It took a lot of trial and error to make the fireplace look right and function the way I wanted it to.

Having to remove the entire front part of the custom, to add the fireplace element was a new challenge for me, the only other time I'd cut into the main part of a custom was for my "Peter Pan's Flight".  Trying to get detail on the tiny paintings that are on the mantle was very difficult.  In the end though, I am very happy with how it turned out.

DV: It seems like you have quite the collection of holliday customs.
JW: Once I finished those 4 pieces, I had been hit by the holiday-themed custom bug.  I made Minnie baking cookies, The Coke Polar Bear, Rudolph the Rose-nosed Reindeer and started on my Nutcracker Series.  I plan on doing 12 nutcrackers in all. It started with Mickey, naturally, and the second one I just finished is Stitch.  The rest of the series isn't finalized quite yet, but I do know that a Little Green Man, Goofy and Mr. Frederickson will be in it.  They should all be available sometime at the beginning on the year.  I just didn't have time to complete them for this season.

DV: What's next?
JW: My next projects are a couple of 9" pieces. One will require me to cut into the Mickey vinylmation once again. It'll be interesting to see if I can make the finished piece look as good as it does in my mind, lol.  I got the inspiration for the other piece from something I saw hanging on a rack at the cash register at a local craft store.  I saw it, and instantly though, "That'll look awesome used with a vinylmation figure."

DV: How can people contact you?
JW: If anyone is interested in any of my holiday pieces, or my other customs, you can contact me through my email siberianarts@gmail.com. You can also become a fan of my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/SiberianVinylmationCustoms.

No comments:

Post a Comment