Monday, April 4, 2011

Spotlight On: Photographer Cassie Dyer

This Spotlight On segment is going to be a little different than normal. Usually we use this segment to highlight interesting Vinylmation artists. Today we will do that same thing, but in an "outside the box" way.

On twitter the other day we spotted a tweet about vinylmation pictures. We clicked on the link and found one of the coolest niche sites about vinylmation we have ever seen.

Cassie Dyer is a professional photographer from Ohio. Along with her husband, she runs a local portrait studio. In her free time she's fallen in love with a little Park 2 friend: Poncho the Mouse by Randy Noble.

Cassie created the site ponchothemouse.tumblr.com and takes all the photos you can see there. We had a chance to "sit down" with Cassie and talk about her, and her site.
MC: How long have you had your site?
Cassie Dyer: My first Poncho picture was taken in June 2009. I would just post them on my Facebook, but due to his growing popularity I decided to create a blog site in June 2010 for a larger audience to see and enjoy.
MC: What's your favorite picture so far?
CD: It was incredibly fun to take pictures throughout Disney World, but I think my 2 favorite pictures are "Poncho went rock climbing" and "Poncho went searching for dinosaurs."
MC: The dinosaur one is pretty cool. How did you come up with the idea for the website?
CD: When photography became my career, I lost my passion to shoot anything that wasn't portraiture. I wanted to take pictures outside of the business but I had to think about what my new subject would be. What did I love? Disney World was the obvious answer. At that time, my parents had fallen in love with vinylmations. I looked them up online and knew that one of those vinylmations would be perfect subject. Poncho seemed to have the most personality out of the bunch. It was love at first sight!
MC: He is cute. What reactions have you gotten from the site?
CD: Outside of the Disney fanatic world, I get some funny looks when I'm taking pictures of a toy mouse, but it's very fun. My friends and family love the Poncho the Mouse series. He makes so many people smile. Now I'm really wanting to branch out into the Disney community.
MC: They are a great community to be involved with. Speaking of Disney, what is your favorite Vinylmation figure? (Or 2nd if the answer is Poncho)
CD: Aside from Poncho, I love all of the EPCOT vinylmations. I'm also really looking forward to my Disney World trip in July to buy park series 6! The EPCOT road sign and Norway troll vinyls are too cool!
MC: Are you working on anything else vinylmation related?
CD: We have about 25 vinylmations and I'm wanting to take pictures of them soon. Check out Poncho the Vinylmation Mouse on Facebook and I'll be sure to post some!

MC: I will! How can people find out more about your pieces and see your work?
CD: You can go to Ponchothemouse.tumblr.com or become a fan of Poncho on Facebook by searching Poncho the Vinylmation Mouse.

MC: Thanks for joining me, and I encourage everyone in Destination Vinylmation land to click on the link above and check out all Cassie's photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment