Saturday, June 25, 2011

"Lofty Expectations" DV Review: Up

9" Park 6 Up
Artist: Maria Clapsis
LE: 1000
Price: $44.95

There was a lot of buzz outside D-Street this morning for this figure. Even though, in my eyes, two other great pieces were coming out, Up was the Vinylmation everyone wanted.

To me, it is the simplest of designs. It is just the floating house and a head full of balloons. Normally I like simple, but with such dynamic characters in Up AND no official Up Vinylmation released yet, I think myself and other fans were wondering why there were none on this piece. There is one simple answer... it doesn't need it. 

I was nervous that the Up Vinylmation wouldn't look too impressive in hand, but I was wrong. The artwork is done very well and they pulled off some good looking balloons in the head. 

And in true Maria fashion, she gives us something special near her signature. She customizes a little piece of art for each piece. On the bottom off this one is a hand drawn heart with "C + E" written in it for Carl loves Ellie. What a fantastic little touch!

Would it be cool to have a Kevin on the roof or a Carl in the window? Yes, but this is just a nice piece of artwork that represents the film well. There is a painting of the sky with a little floating up house way in the background. I love that painting. I like simple and subtle Disney merchandise. Two things here... the desire to have Up characters on vinyl and the fact that pictures don't do this one justice had me worried, but the final product is a must add to any Up's fan's collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment