Monday, May 23, 2011

Spotlight On: Custom Artist Fershozombie


This piece is awesome. I love the use of 3D additions to create a very unique profile. All the details and colors are very well done. I love all the spots in the green skin, and the nicely painted RF on the shirt.

We got a chance to interview the artist. Here's what they said.
MC: Tell us a little about yourself.
Fershozombie: My name is Fernando but I go by the alias fershozombie. I am an illustrator from Mexico. I work designing merchandise for bands, skateboard companies, and clothing brands.
MC: What got you into art?
FZ: Ever since I can remember I love drawing, I used to draw the characters from the cartoons I used to watch. That was my first connection with art.

MC: That's cool. What's your artistic background, training/education?
FZ: I am currently studying the graphic design career, but I've been in the business for around three years.

MC: How long have you been creating custom Vinylmation?
FZ: The Rat Fink was my first time customizing a vinylmation piece, but I am currently working on a second one that I am sure some people will like.

MC: How many other custom vinyl pieces have you made?
FZ: I mostly work with Japanese vinyl and Kidrobot’s Munny toys. I’ve been working with them for some time, but I would say I have done more than 20.

MC: What's your favorite piece you've made?
FZ: I really like all the pieces I do, but I am really stoked about the one I am currently working on. I will be producing a resin toy from one of my eyeball characters.
MC: Do you collect the Vinylmation created by Disney artists?
FZ: I haven’t really had the pleasure to get one, I only have a small collection of blanks that I plan to work on.

MC: Well, from what you have seen out there, what is your favorite Disney Vinylmation design?
FZ: I really like the eyeball one from the jr. series and also the Oogie Boogie one.
MC: How did you come up with the idea of the Rat Fink piece?
FZ: I have always been a fan of Ed Roth’s art, you can tell if you see my portfolio. So I wanted to do some kind of tribute to his work, and the vinylmation was the perfect platform for it.

MC: Can you describe this figure? The inspiration. What detail went into it?
FZ: The inspiration came from the rat fink character. I tried to put as much detail as I could into it so that everyone that see it can recognize the figure.
MC: What is your favorite aspect of it?
FZ: I would say color, I love that neon green I used on it. That's a color I use in most of my art.

MC: What was the hardest part in creating this figure? Clearly it's just more then paint, how do you get the 3-D effect?
FZ: It wasn't really hard. I see every piece as a new challenge. In this case, I used polymer clay to sculpt the face.

MC: Well it looks really good. Thank you for talking to us. One last question: In your words where can people go to find out more about your pieces and see your work?
FZ: You can check more of my work at my flickr and tumblr profiles:

flickr.com/photos/fershozombie/

fershozombie.tumblr.com/


Also if anyone is interested in getting this piece, it is currently up for auction on ebay:http://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300558094296&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT#ht_500wt_1156

MC: Well, thanks again! Keep up the good work, and let us know when you finish the any new pieces!

Ed Roth Rat Fink pic from ratfink.com

No comments:

Post a Comment