Monday, February 13, 2012

The Forgotten Vinylmation Collectible

Vinylmation is only about 3 years old and already we have undergone many different ways a Vinylmation is packaged. We have seen tins replaced by open window boxes. We now find it a regular occurrence to have Jrs packaged with both 9" and 3" figures. One of the biggest changes was the decision to not include artist cards any longer with Vinylmation. We all remember having to find a place for all those artist cards, but do you remember another short lived item that used to be packaged with Vinylmation?
Around Park and Urban 1 and 2, buttons were packaged with 9" Vinylmation. Pictured above are the buttons from Tiki Mickey (Urban 2, Doug Strayer, LE 750), Bowling (Urban 2) and a third small button an eBay seller sent me as a bonus. I'm not sure about its origins. The 9" Bowling figure is one of my favorite Urbans of all time. It was also one of my first two 9" figures (Black Cauldron) I ever purchased. I remember being really excited when I saw it in the store.
And this Dawn Ockstadt designed 9" came with a button attached to the inside of the box. This figure is only LE 600. Currently, prices are rising on 9" figures and at the same time, edition sizes are rising and the artist cards and buttons are gone. Doesn't seem fair. I don't really like the buttons too much, but to collectors, they are a low LE collectible that is decently hard to find. After all, not everybody opens their 9" boxes like I do.
Maria Clapsis' 9" Mine, Mine, Mine from Park 2 also came with a button. The buttons are just like the artist cards... they depict the concept art for the figure.
Again, this figure being a low LE of 550 means the button is also rather scarce.
This is the most rare Vinylmation button I own. I came with the Randy Noble designed LE 350 Crossroads figure from Park 2.
Holiday 1 also got in on the button fun. Maria's LE 400 Turkey also came with a button. So what are your thoughts on the buttons? Did you like when they were packaged with 9" figures? Do you ever collect them separately from the figure?

No comments:

Post a Comment