Friday, February 3, 2012

Spotlight On: Custom Vinylmation Artist Rust This World


Rust This World dropped some Disney villains on us for this spotlight. A 9" Chernabog and a 3" Headless Horseman were the subjects of his latest customs. Let's take a look.

Destination Vinylmation: What inspired each piece? 
Rust This World: I decided to make the light up Chernabog because a lot of people on custom Vinylmation message boards were asking how to make a 9" figure light up. I have some background in small electronics, so I figured I could make it work and show people how to do it. Most of my collection is villains-related, so of course I had to paint the figure to make it villain-related. I had a great design for Chernabog that I had laying around, so I figured why not make it light up as well? Now I have the coolest night light in the world.

The Headless Horseman came about when I saw how lame the official Animation 2 figure of it was. As soon as it was revealed, I immediately started working on my own. I kept the same basic concept of the official figure, but added more paint details, a fully sculpted cape, a sword, and made the head into the pumpkin, so that it still maintained the Mickey-ness.

DV: Talk about some of the details of each figure.
Rust: The Headless Horseman's head is painted on a clear yellow figure so that it lights up when lit from behind. I sculpted the cape entirely from scratch too, which was not easy.

Chernabog is special because he's literally a light up demon. It's the first time I've ever included any electronic elements into a figure, but I think it turned out well enough.

DV: Can you take us into the process of making the figure light up?
Rust: The Chernabog figure was definitely something new for me. I know Evilos has put lights in figures before, but this was my first try. I used to do robotics, so at least knowing exactly how everything needed to be wired and set up was easy, but it's still kind of awkward stuffing all the wires and lights and batteries inside of a Mickey figure. The lights themselves are LED Arrays taken from a flashlight, the switch is for an rc car, and the batteries are just three AAAs. Not including the base figure, there's probably under $20 in parts to make it light up, so it's not all that expensive to do something cool like that.

DV: If people would also like one of these really cool night lights... how can they find you?
Rust: My website is http://www.rustthisworld.com and my facebook is http://www.facebook.com/rustthisworld . I'll probably be doing some sort of figure raffle to my facebook friends in the next few weeks so make sure you like the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment