Friday, July 13, 2012

Annemarie's Brush with Greatness


by Annemarie Brown

So I had a pretty amazing thing happen yesterday. Anyone familiar with the TV show "Lost" knows of Damon Lindelof, he's one of the co-creators (with JJ Abrams) of the show and wrote many of the episodes. Damon follows me on Twitter (you can find him @DamonLindelof) and saw a picture I posted a couple months ago of a custom I did of John Locke, a character from the show. It was awesome enough that he got to see it at all, but what was even more unbelievable was when he commissioned me to do a custom Vinylmation for him! All he requested was it be Hurley in a DHARMA jumpsuit, and the rest was up to me. Here he is!
My original plan was to do him as a 3" figure, but as a huge Lost fan, I quickly realized the amount of detail I wanted to put into him would require a 9" canvas. I included his chef logo, his lottery ticket with the infamous Numbers, and the DHARMA van in the ear. Hurley wouldn't be complete without an array of his favorite snacks, so I also put in an Apollo chocolate bar, Mr. Cluck's fried chicken and of course... ranch dressing!

On the back I included an airplane (Oceanic 815, perhaps?) his makeshift golf-course flag and golf ball, and the guitar case he carried throughout most of season 6.

I wanted to show my appreciation for making the best TV show ever, so I personalized the bottom.

After I finished the vinyl I was having so much fun (honestly) I decided to make a special Lost-themed Vinylmation box to put him in.

So I grabbed an old Urban box and threw in some jungle and the Smoke Monster and some other little hidden goodies to complete the piece!

Hurley and little Locke sneaking around the jungle.

The most amazing part of this whole thing was getting to hang out with Damon for a couple hours, he visited the studio and then we went out for beers and TALKED ABOUT LOST which, believe it or not, he admitted he really enjoyed doing. He also brought (and signed for me!) a cool 9" DHARMA BearBrick figure.

For this Lost fan it was an absolute dream come true, and Hurley couldn't have gone to a better home!

No comments:

Post a Comment