Thursday, July 19, 2012

Spotlight On: Custom Vinylmation Artist Heather Kattelman

Today we feature another Vinylmation 95 custom design. This time by a veteran to our spotlights, Heather Kattelman of Vinylmation Customations.

Destination Vinylmation: The "Star Wars Cruiser" is amazing. So much is going here, I especially enjoy the lightsaber battle between Yoda and General Grievous. What is your favorite part about this custom design?
Heather: That's a tough question... I really like a few pieces of the design, but my favorite is probably the flaming Vader on the hood and then the Imperial & Rebel Logo Flames down each side.  Those were quite challenging as I created a unique stencil for each of them which took forever to get just right, but I really love the way they came out!

DV: We have Vader's image on the hood, R2 in the co-pilot seat and mayhem inside... who's in control of this vehicle? The Rebels or The Empire?
Heather: Haha - That's a good question!  Well. I've always been a fan of the dark-side so I did place Grievous in he driver's seat in the design but Yoda is giving him a pretty good fight!

DV: When you saw this car shaped mold was your first thought Death Star in cracked windshield? That feature is spectacular!
Heather: I just couldn't resist adding that little piece of wicked humor!  It just seemed SO PERFECT!

DV: As an artist, what is the major difference between working on a Lightning McQueen shaped mold as opposed to Mickey?
Heather: Whoa, it could be dangerous asking this question. lol  Actually in some ways, I found the cars very similar to work on in that the materials are the same so prep, paint, finishing, etc are basically similar to the Mickey mold Vinylmations.  There is one huge difference for me as an artist when working on the Vinylmation 95 molds... They don't come apart!  I kept wanting to pop off the wheels.  For me personally, I aways take the Vinylmations apart to paint them and use rods so I never have to physically hold or touch the pieces while working on them.  Not being able to do this with the 95 mold takes some getting use to and slows the process down.

DV: Is this custom available for purchase and do you take orders for Vinylmation 95 commissions?
Heather: The "Star Wars Cruiser" has been sold but I'm accepting commission work for the Vinylmation 95 Cars with designs starting at $99.

DV: How can people order a design or submit a commission request?
Heather: Here are all the ways to contact me:

Vinylmation Customations
Heather Kattelman
www.facebook.com/VinylmationCustomations
www.facebook.com/HKattelman
VinylmationCustomation@gmail.com
www.Twitter.com/MYVinylmation

No comments:

Post a Comment