Friday, July 27, 2012

Disney North: Pook-A-Looz Vinyls?



In my last post about Mindstyle's Stitch figures, I alluded to another series of vinyls set to be released by Mindstyle. But first some history...

In the last few years you might have seen some different looking plush at Disney Parks and the Disney Store. These plush, known as Pook-A-Looz, were inspired by designer toy culture. The plush have the look of being hand sewn. Disney produced many characters in this style. Most of these characters were mass produced while some were rare and have become pretty hard to find. Disney also produced a wide range of accessories to go along with the plush, including shirts and handbags.
Pook-A-looz

Rare Figment Pook-A-Looz

I've not seen the plush available in Disney Stores anymore and I think there were only a few left at Disney Parks during my last trip to WDW in October 2011. There are some Muppets Pook-A-Looz still available on the FAO Schwartz website at a reduced costs.  It seems Disney has abandoned the entire series, in favor of Vinylmation. I guess Disney originally figured Pook-A-Looz would have the same success as our favorite vinyl toys.
Pook-A-Looz Handbag

How does Mindstyle work into this equation? In January of 2011, the company posted a string of blog posts teasing a release of equivalent vinyl figures. The designs are exactly like the plush. Very little information is given about the series. Since the line is a pretty much history, my guess is these will never be produced. Check out some of the pictures of the vinyls below.




I never purchased any of the plush but they did intrigue me. If the vinyls were produced, I no doubt, would have purchased them all. What do you think? Would you have collected the Pook-A-Looz figures?

Editor's Note:
I couldn't post this article from Disney North without giving my own opinion. I have to admit, I was a Pook-A-Looz collector.
It started with Buzz and Woody, but soon grew to a collection of about 15-20. They went on sale and could be picked up for only a few bucks. I agree with Disney North, they seemed to just not catch on as a collectible like Disney thought they would. 

Although Disney produced some special edition ones, like 40th anniversary Mickey and Minnie and Broadway Mary Poppins (only for purchase at the Broadway store or online), the product line fizzled out.

My personal favorite is the Toy Story Alien that was only released in Japan.
-Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment