Monday, September 26, 2011

Spotlight On: Custom Pumpkin Carver Gyophry

This Spotlight is a little out of the ordinary for us. Normally, we bring you custom Vinylmation artists from around the world. But recently, we were contacted by one of our listeners Gyophry showing us his unique Disney-themed works of art. So, with Halloween right around the corner, today we will feature Gyophry's pumpkin carvings.

Destination Vinylmation: How long have you been carving these great designs into pumpkins?

Gyophry: I have been carving custom pumpkins for about 4 years now.  I began with the typical real ones but realized after carving for 6 hours plus I should switch to fake carveable ones.


DV: Your work really appeals to our audience because of the use of Disney themes.

Gyophry: This year I decided to show my love for Disney and for Vinylmation. After visiting Disneyland earlier this year, I fell in love with the World of Color. I realized this would make a beautiful pumpkin. 


I then did a version of the 2011"Happy Halloween" collectible pin. I have a "Nightmare" one as well. This was a request from my wife that turned out better than I expected. 


But as I was doing these while listening to your podcast, I wanted to thank you guys for providing my family and myself hours of entertainment and information. So I have done a "Destination Vinylmation" pumpkin. 


This is a dual sided one with a projectable "!" Vinylmation on one side and the DV banner on the other.


DV: Besides Disney, what else do you enjoy carving into pumpkins?

Gyophry: I have done many video game related ones including a Bioshock (big daddy),


 a Sephiroth (final fantasy), Master chief (halo) and a dual sided Marcus phoenix/crimson omen (gears of war).


DV: We have all carved pumpkins before and it can be a long, tedious process. Your designs have a ton of detail, how long does the average pumpkin carve take you?

Gyophry: These designs can range from 3-20 hours for the entire process. I begin by creating a pattern, placing it on the pumpkin, then the carving.  I do only use a very limited amount of tools, all are done by hand. I don't use a dremmel like some carvers. I prefer a fine line carving, similar to tattoos.

DV: Like our custom Vinylmation artists, you do sell and ship your work, right?

Gyophry: I do custom commissions for people, they can range from $40-$100 depending on the size of the pumpkin. If anyone would like to find out more I am on Twitter @gyophry.  I will be creating an etsy account soon to display all of these designs.

DV: Just remember everyone, they are the fake pumpkins. So they can last year after year. It's a really great idea and we appreciate you sharing your work with everyone.

Gyophry: I am thankful to you both for giving me a chance to show my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment