Thursday, September 29, 2011

Spotlight On: Custom Vinylmation Artist John Ward

interview conducted by DV reporter Lee

Destination Vinylmation: What got you started with wanting to put your own style onto a Vinylmation Canvas?

John Ward: I started creating vinyls as soon as I saw that Disney was selling Create Your Own figures. I've always been creative and have loved Disney for as long as I can remember, so buying some blanks and making my own Vinylmation figures was a no-brainer for me.

DV: When you are creating a Vinylmation, what do you like to incorporate in the designs?

John: I enjoy the Vinylmation figures that Disney creates; however, I feel they could do more with the backs of the figures. With the pieces I create, I try to make the back of the figure just as interesting to look at as the front. I also like to try to create a story in my vinyls.

DV: Tell us the story of your first custom!

John Ward: I created my very first custom, which was The Adventures of Ichabod. The front of the piece has the Headless Horseman having already thrown his pumpkin head; the reverse has Ichabod and his horse, Gunpowder, looking very scared with the moon on the ear.


DV: One of my favorite pieces that I saw at your table during the Florida Project was your Ratatouille custom! The detail work on it is awesome!

John Ward: Ratatouille is one of my favorite Pixar movies and I wanted to create a vinyl for the movie, but I had to think of how to make both side of the vinyl interesting! Almost immediately I thought how Remy "puppets" Linguini through his recipes. So you have Linguini on the front, cooking away, and on the reverse in the silhouette of Remy under his hat, along with Gusteau at the bottom.


DV: Such an awesome design! I love the storyboards that play out on your work! How long does it take for your artwork to come to life?

John Ward: It usually takes me around a week to complete them. I also do commissioned pieces.

DV: I think I may have a job for you already!! Where can we go to see more of your work?

John Ward: My website is www.siberianarts.com and it has all my Vinylmation customs that I've done so far, along with some concept art of ones I plan on creating. I also have displayed other pieces of art that I've done. All of my Vinylmation customs are for sale and can be made to order. I also have a Facebook Page: Siberian Vinylmation Customs, be sure to "like" it; I put my new customs up there first!

DV: Absolutely! Consider yourself "liked"! I am very excited to see what you will do next!
On John's 9" Dr. Facilier, a black light reveals a different face!

No comments:

Post a Comment