Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Spotlight On: Custom Vinylmation Artist John Dela Cruz

Graphic designer John Dela Cruz sent us a great take on the mystery chaser with his custom Vinylmation.

Destination Vinylmation: You created a great looking custom, but do you also collect Disney's vinylmation?

John: I'm a new collector, bitten by the "chase" bug not too long ago. I found myself going back and forth into local Disney Stores saying "Okay, just one more box" or "Last one, this is the one" all in an effort to get the last figure I needed to complete my Have A Laugh set. I never understood the "thrill" of blind boxing that people talked about until I opened my first chaser. It took so many doubles and triples to get Conductor Pete, but the money didn't matter at that point. It was the "chase" that mattered.

DV: Yep, that's how we all get hooked. Now tell us about the inspiration of this custom figure that you named "All For The Chase!".

John: This started out as a joke amongst my cousins who also collect. They said I should create this one because it's the only one on the vinylmation packaging that nobody seems to ever get. I currently have it up for sale on ebay and can be searched using "ALL FOR THE CHASE - DISNEY VINYLMATION CUSTOM 3" MICKEY". The design is a no-brainer with obvious inspiration, but I plan on making more of these if the vinylmation collectors want it as well as a number of other custom pieces that are currently in the works.

DV: Thanks John, we look forward to seeing what comes next.

John: Thank you for your time and I hope to hear some thoughts on my custom.

No comments:

Post a Comment