Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Annemarie: Furry Friends... Good but not Purrrfect

by Annemarie Brown

Update: 12/28/11 Chaser revealed, check out Annemarie's opinion at the bottom

Yesterday we got our first look at the (almost) complete set of Furry Friends. My initial reaction was "totally cute!" but then I thought about it for a minute and I find myself oddly disappointed with this set. Also, no Figaro? Huh?!

Individually, the figures are great looking, and well designed. But I'm not crazy about their choice of characters. I thought (especially with the ASPCA pet-friendly donations) this would be a cat and dog set. But there are only TWO cats, one of which is Marie AGAIN. I was perfectly fine with this Marie when I saw her last week; she's cute and I love her fabric bow accessory.

But unless the chaser is a cat, I feel completely cheated out of some possible great cat characters. I love dogs, but there are seven! Plus a raccoon and a Pegasus, which are again, both cute characters but I don't like them in this set.
I love Pluto, Tramp, Max, and Percy for the dogs. The expressions are great on them all and I love how their faces are shifted a bit to give them a cocked-to-the-side look. Paired with the new "paw" mold it makes them that much more adorable. But again, using this mold on any non-cat or dog character seems like a waste to me.
To sum up: No Figaro (yet). Too many pups. Plus the odd insertion of Meeko and Pegasus makes this set a tiny bit of a letdown to me *as a set.* (I feel I must stress this because individually they all look great.) Hoping for a Figaro chaser, and if not him, at least one more cat for the set.

Update: 12/28/11 Cheshire Cat chaser revealed
Still disappointed. "But Annie, it's a CAT, right? You wanted more cats!" Yes, but we already have a Cheshire Cat, and are expecting two more. I do like that they tried to stylize this guy a bit, and again, he looks great on the figure itself. I just have to admit, I was looking for more cats and better choices. There are plenty to choose from.

I won't be purchasing this entire set (even though I was planning to.) I'll blind box a few for sure, though. I'm most sad about Figaro. His omission has cost one case of Furry Friends, at least for me. (Although I'm sure you'll soon see a custom Figaro, which I'll definitely make for myself!)


For a look at the entire set, please visit our Furry Friends Explained page.

No comments:

Post a Comment