Friday, December 16, 2011

Spotlight On: Custom Vinylmation Artist April Skyy

One day while looking around our Facebook page a newly posted custom caught my eye and made me litterly say Wow! I want one! It was a Santa Stitch and today we bring you the artist, April Skyy from Pennsylvania.

Destination Vinylmation: Your custom Vinylmation really caught our eye, but were you into creating artwork before Vinylmation?
April: When I got into creating custom vinyls, I began painting kidrobot Munny's and My Little Ponies. As my love for collecting Vinylmations grew, I began painting them also.

DV: Your Santa Stitch custom looks downright amazing. What gave you the idea to make this?
April: Thank you, Stitch is my favorite Disney character. I have a huge collection of Stitch collectibles. And I pulled my Santa Stitch plush out of a box to decorate my home for Christmas, and the idea was born.

DV: What are some of your favorite features on this custom?
April: The Santa costume, it suits Stitch very well.

DV: What was the hardest part about making this particular vinyl?
April: I am very meticulous, so the entire custom was challenging. But, the ears that I sculpted, were tricky. I really wanted to capture Stitch's likeness.

DV: This Stitch looks pretty polished, have you created customs before?
April: I have only created a handful of Vinylmation customs so far. I really enjoy painting them, and you will see more vinylmation customs coming soon! Right after I created Santa Stitch, I decided to create his girlfriend "Angel" once again with sculpted ears and I added her signature antennas.

DV: What have you learned from creating your customs that you can pass onto other custom artists?
April: Follow your gut instinct, and create whatever you want.

DV: On our Facebook page, you mentioned the Disney Garage Sale Group, can you tell us more about what this is?
April: The Disney Garage Sale is a facebook group where you can and buy, sell trade or barter all Disney Collectibles. It is a closed group, and any fan of Disney is welcome to ask to join, the more the merrier. The group is not affiliated with Disney, or an official Disney group.
April created a coffin for her HM Wallpaper Vinyl!
DV: That sounds like a very happy place. Is your personal work for sale?
April: All my customs are available for sale and can be custom ordered.

DV: Where can people go to see more of your work and contact you? 
April: You can find me on facebook, search April Skyy, and April Skyy Art. My email is aprilskyyart@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment