Sunday, September 30, 2012

Spotlight On: Custom Vinylmation Artist Jerai Marella


Destination Vinylmation: The Brave 9" is just remarkable. It looks almost like a chalk painting to me. The shading is beautiful. Can you talk to us about the creation process on this piece?
Jerai Marella: Creating the Brave 9" custom starts with some research into the character  pics, then a  simple sketch of the character.I was surprised that it took me only one sketch to get the correct expression on Merida .I usually sketch a character out 3 to 4 times before getting the right expression.From the sketch It's all about painting the right colors and the right  shade.

DV: That is one of the most beautifully draw Meridas I have seen. How long does it take you to get a character down? Have you sketched her a few times before putting her down onto the vinyl canvas?
JM: Achieving the correct textures is all about  trial and error, you have to test all types of brushes on a practice canvas just to see how it translates on to it.It may take some time,but it's fun to see how each different texture brings life to your art.

DV: The Masters of the Universe triple set is just plain cool. How did you decide to do this set?
JM: I've been meaning to create a He-Man set, then in  a forum I go to see many amazing artist post customs, some one asked  if any one has created a he-man custom before......that's when I decided that  it's time to create He-Man and the Masters of the Universe customs.

DV: Are any of these available for purchase?
JM: The Brave custom is still for sale, please contact me if you're interested. The He-Man set in the pic shown has already been sold, but I can always create another,my customs are available for purchase. Please contact me via email jerai022@yahoo.com and visit www.ryactiv.sketchlab7.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment