Wednesday, May 30, 2012

ZoMG: Disney Store Light Up Set Review



This past Monday May 28th, the Disney Store 25th Anniversary Light Up Vinylmation was FINALLY released! I thought these guys were never going to see the light of day after what happened with Furry Friends, but thank goodness they pulled through because they are BEAUTIFUL.

I wasn’t really looking forward to this set, except for the fact that we got our first 3" Princess (which I have been waiting for forever!) But this set has honestly blown me away. Let’s start off with the box, the box design is awesome. It ties in perfectly with the rest of the Disney Store 25th Anniversary merchandise and the coloring really stands out.

I bought 5 blind boxes and one Sorcerer Mickey that came with the light up stand. I know that during the actual Disney Store Anniversary, the Mickey and light up stand were given to Cast Members as a gift. I thought that in doing this they would get rid of the bad quality ones and sell us Vinylmation fans the newer and better quality ones... I was wrong.

Let’s talk about Mickey. I’ve seen reviews that people had done on how the paint lines were not up to par and there was some smudging. The Mickey I purchased has some flaws but I wasn’t too disappointed since he wasn’t the only one I wanted from the set. But for some reason they decided to leave Mickey the way he was in the first batch of this series that surfaced during the Disney Store’s Anniversary.

Now as for the rest of the set, it is apparent that they went back in and added more details, cleaner lines, and my favorite part... glitter/pixie dust/sparkle whatever you’d like to call it... onto the figures!!! On the Mickey figure you can see the separation where his body ends and the light up part begins, and in the actual set of 12 figures, you can see they’ve added the sparkle to cover that area up. I wonder why Mickey wasn’t special enough to get his own pixie dust? Maybe the next batch in stores will have it? Who knows, we will have to keep checking.

Let’s talk about the light up base. I like the idea of the figures lighting up but to me I think they could have looked better when turned on. Maybe each figure could have had something that you can only see when the base is on... like how Sorcerer Mickey has a Hidden Mickey on his chest. I’m not saying that I hate the idea of the figures lighting up because it looks super cool. I was just nervous that the set would only look good when lit up, but they look great either way!

Now on to the actual set. I am in LOVE. This is hands down one of my absolute favorite Vinylmation sets in all the years I have been collecting. I’m not being bias because I finally have my very own Vinylmation Princess figure (please take note other artists, include Princesses PLEASE!). I honestly really love this set from ears to feet.

Of the 5 blind boxes I pulled, I got Eeyore, Minnie, Dumbo, Buzz and Rapunzel. These figures are absolutely stunning in person. The detail is incredible, the quality is top notch and the best part is that the actual figures these are painted on are sparkly, which makes any clear area full of glitter which I LOVE.

I think that the characters they picked are good ones. We’ve had many Tinker bells this year but I love way artist Gerald Mendez made them his own and went with it. This Tinkerbell is completely different than any one we have seen. The cute little faces are consistent on each figure which makes the whole set flow. It’s a creative and fun play on everyone’s favorite characters and I couldn’t be happier with the results.

Now let me break down briefly what I think of the figures I’ve collected so far:

Eeyore looks so adorable, but the only thing missing is his tail. But that’s okay because that’s normal for him to misplace it.

Buzz is awesome. I love the expression on his face and the details on all sides of him are perfection.

Dumbo is the cutest little thing I’ve ever seen. I love that in one ear he has his little yellow hat and also if you look on the sides you can see his cute little ears flapped down. He doesn’t want to outshine the iconic Mickey ears you know.

Sorcerer Mickey is great. I love the hat and his expression is cool too. I love the little hidden Mickey you can see when he is lit up!

Minnie Mouse is so cute, the face is adorable. I love the little smirk she’s giving. Also the bow is removable and she’s just darling.

Last but not least Rapunzel. She is everything I would have wanted in the first Princess 3 inch Vinylmation. She’s pretty, her hair is flowing, her face is so cute and her dress looks perfect on the mold. She is perfect!

This is great set to represent the Disney Store’s 25th Anniversary. It’s fun, full of great characters and looks awesome. I would definitely recommend stopping at your nearest Disney store, making a trade or shopping online for at least one of these.

No comments:

Post a Comment