Saturday, August 6, 2011

Disney North: Pop! Vinyl Metal Mickey

Destination Vinylmation would like to welcome our newest contributor, Disney North. He resides in Canada and will write about collecting all things Disney north of the states.If you would like to write articles for DV, email us at DestinationVinylmation@gmail.com.


When Destination Vinylmation put out an open call for new writers, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to write about the great world of Vinylmation and other Disney vinyl collectibles.

I'm a long time Disneyana collector with collections ranging from pins, to Walt Disney Classics Collection (WDCC), to posters and finally to Vinylmation. My Vinylmation collection started when a work colleague brought back 3 Park 1 blind boxes for me (which ended up being Kermit, Fireworks and Monorail Red). My collection has slowly grown to just over 30 now, which includes 3", 9" and one jr. Here is a couple pictures of my Vinylmation collection and other Disneyana.
Disney North's top shelf Vinylmation
I didn't know you needed ice cubes in Canada
Was there any doubt he owned this one?
What makes Figment cool and Barney not? They are both purple dinosaurs.
He has the poster, but did he win the vacation???
For my first article I wanted to give a quick review of the Pop! Vinyl Mickey released at Comic Con a few weeks ago. I was lucky enough to have a friend pick one up for me and mail it to me.
Pop! Vinyl Metal Mickey from Comic Con
What you will first see is that Mickey is still in the box. I'm a Mint-in-box kinda guy, so sorry for the lack of close up pictures.

I love Pop! Vinyl figures but wasn't actually fond of the Series 1 Mickey. The Comic Con version is a big improvement! The silver paint looks great. The finish is considerably better than Series 1. And I'm always a sucker for a limited edition.

The big difference you will notice is the sticker on the front of the box. The initial photos from the advance release showed a Comic Con sticker. The sticker that they actually used was a D23 sticker. It makes me wonder if these items were initially bound for the D23 Expo this month.

In any event, this was a great buy and I hope Disney and Funko do more limited releases like these. I can't wait for series 2.

if you want to reach me, check me out on Twitter at @disneynorth.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment