Friday, March 23, 2012

Spotlight On: Custom Vinylmation Artist Annemarie: Furry Friends 2

It seems like it's been a long time coming. Ever since Disney's Furry Friends series was announced, Annemarie has been talking about all the other characters that also deserve a chance to appear on this modified mold. So she designed a set of 12 and today we unveil her newest customs she calls (the unofficial) Furry Friends 2!
We are excited to share these with you, and i know she is as well. Annemarie also brought the figures to Disneyland for a photo shoot. We also talked to her about these terrific designs.
Copper and Tod ("The Fox and the Hound" 1981)


Destination Vinylmation: What drove you to make your own sequel?
Annemarie: I loved the Furry Friends series, I thought it was such a cute idea to give the characters paws. I figured it would be a great opportunity as a custom artist to give the same look to characters I would have liked to see in the original series.
Lady and Peg ("Lady and the Tramp" 1955)

Little Brother ("Mulan" 1998)

DV: Did any Disney animals narrowly miss the cut of 12 or did you get in everyone you wanted?
AM: Tito from "Oliver and Company" was one I really wanted in, but we've already (luckily!) had several characters from that movie, I wanted to give a couple more obscure characters a chance, like Little Brother and Rufus, for example. I also would have loved to get the rest of Scat Cat's gang in.
Thomas O' Malley and Scat Cat ("The AristoCats" 1970)

Rufus ("The Rescuers" 1977)

DV: We will not let the little guys read this next question... Which one came out as your favorite? Why? And did you know this would be your favorite when you designed it, or did the way it came out make it your favorite?
AM: That's a really tough question. I've been working on these guys for over two months and have grown attached to them all! Figaro is probably my favorite, as you might have guessed. He was the first character I designed, and I really wanted him to be in the original Furry Friends series. As soon as I found out he wouldn't be, I set to work on him right away, so he'll always have a special place in my heart.
Figaro ("Pinocchio" 1940)


Georgette is one of my favorite Disney characters, so I was also a bit biased towards her before she was even finished. Peg is another favorite. As for ones I didn't realize would become favorites, Nana probably best fits that category. I wasn't expecting her to, but I think she came out as one of the best ones. (Scat Cat is another favorite. I love his little hat!)
Georgette ("Oliver and Company" 1988)

Nana ("Peter Pan" 1953) 

DV: Which FF2 was the hardest to design?
AM: Rajah was the hardest. I initially considered doing him from the scene in the movie where Jafar turns him into a baby. So he would be a cute little baby tiger cub. He definitely would have fit the mold better, so to speak, but I thought it would be a bit TOO obscure, and maybe he would be more recognizable if I just did his adult form.
Rajah ("Aladdin" 1992)

His ears were the toughest part, I was working off a Furry Friends mold that already had ears in the "ears," so I had to make Rajah's ears bigger than I would have liked to cover up the pre-existing ears. Such are the trials of covering up an existing design!
Little Leia is interfering with my photo shoot!

No comments:

Post a Comment