Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Spotlight On: Custom Vinylmation Artist Ryan Marella

We caught up with previously featured custom vinylmation artist Ryan Marella and asked him about his recent work with the new Vinylmation 95 mold.
Destination Vinylmation: The Delorean is a GREAT idea for the Vinylmation 95 mold! How long did it take you to come up with this idea after seeing the Lightning shape CYO?
Ryan Marella:  I've always been a big fan of Back to the Future movies, so when I saw the VM 95 CYO  I already knew it was one of the customs I wanted to create.
DV: My favorite little details are the lightning bolts on the spoiler and side of car, but there seems to be a ton of detail in the rear of the car. Is the Flux capacitor in there somewhere?
RM: The Flux Capacitor is in there, its just the top view of it .

DV: The Star Tours custom is also extremely well thought out. You take the basic features of the Starspeeder 1000 and place them onto the car mold. It's amazing how well it translates, especially the side doors. Are you happy with the outcome?
RM: Yes, I am happy with the overall outcome.

DV: R2 was a perfect addition. Was he always going to be an extra piece instead of painted on?
RM: I wanted to keep most of the detail painted and not have to use any clay to accent it. Except for R2-D2, I wanted R2 to pop out.

DV: You have a ton of experience working on the Mickey shaped mold, as an artist, what are the main differences between working on Mickey and the Car shaped molds?
RM: VM 95 mold is a bigger canvas, but my ideas were limited to cars, ships some rides. The Mickey VM I'm able to create multiple characters, places, rides and all sorts of other things.

DV: Did you enjoy it enough to make more on the Vinylmation 95 CYO?
RM: I did enjoy painting on the VM 95 mold, I plan to create many more customs on this mold.
It's just matter of figuring out what I should create.

No comments:

Post a Comment