Monday, August 13, 2012

Spotlight On: Custom Vinylmation Artist Cesar Diaz



Destination Vinylmation: First of all... wow. A Batmobile Vinylmation 95. What a great idea. Is Batman's ride the first thing that came to mind when you saw this new car shaped canvas? 
Cesar: Of course it was! I've always wanted to make a Batmobile way before Vinylmation 95 was even introduced, and now I got my chance.

DV: You went all out for your first Vinylmation 95 custom. The sculpted wings and exhaust add-ons are perfect. What was the hardest part about this design? 
Cesar: Nothing really. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I also think the shape of the car helps because the paint goes on pretty smoothly . There are no groove lines or Mickey buttons that get in the way like the 9" Mickey mold does. It does take more time, but the more I work on it the easier it gets.

DV: As an artist, what is the biggest difference working with the car shaped mold as opposed to Mickey? 
Cesar: One of the biggest differences is that the car mold is all one piece. It has no removable head or arms, which makes it easy to work with. I also noticed that the vinyl is very soft unlike the 9" Mickey mold.

DV: Did you enjoy this canvas enough to use it for more projects? 
Cesar: Yes, when V95 first came out I went rushing to buy them. Batmobile is now done, and I have one more to customize. I have a million ideas for the second one. The biggest challenge right now is finding time to work on it. V95 is a good change in pace but it will never replace the classic Mickey shape.

DV: We didn't forget the Batman! He looks great as well. You always seem to capture the superheros extremely well. Do you have a lot of practice working with them? 
Cesar: I'm going to be honest, Batman is my favorite character to make customs of. Here is a Batman I did not too long ago:

I made him wearing my favorite suit. And I love how the cape turned out. I'm a huge comic book fan and enjoy making anything that has to do with comic book characters. I don't really have a way to practice. I just do things. If i mess up, I just paint over it and start again.

DV: Any update on the second Lost series? 
Cesar: It's on my to do list. Actually my to do list is getting longer and longer, LOL! Most of the vinyls I make are custom orders for people. But I'm trying to find time to make LOST series 2.
Cesar's Lost Series 1

DV: Any update on the next custom artist show? 
Cesar: Unfortunately I had to postpone it this year. Too many things happening and I couldn't focus too much on it, but I plan to do it next year.

DV: What's the best place to send people to see your work/make orders? 
Cesar: To see my complete portfolio of my customs you can visit mycustomations.com. I would also like to mention that I do weekly giveaways of my custom vinyls at my Facebook page www.facebook.com/mycustomations or you can follow me on Twitter @mycustomations.

No comments:

Post a Comment