Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Spotlight On: Custom Vinylmation Artist Rust This World



Destination Vinylmation: Ursula looks amazing. We know you love to sculpt, but is this one of your more difficult undertakings in the realm of custom Vinylmation to date?
Rust This World: I sculpted the hair, the chest, and where the tentacles attach to the figure. The tentacles were actually something I found and based the entire rest of the figure on. I saw them at a store and they were the perfect size for a 9" Vinylmation, so I had to figure out something cool to do with them. It came down to Davey Jones or Ursula, and I went with Ursula just because I could give her a great facial expression. All of the sculpting on this figure was done in the same way as the tutorial I did last week.

DV: You captured her face perfectly, did her proportions seem to fit right onto the mold from a design standpoint?
Rust: I used Mickey's nose as her chin, and her lower part of her face is wider than the top of her head, it actually fit pretty well on the Mickey shape. Since I was already sculpting extra parts onto the figure, I had no problem adding the hair to help shape her head.

DV: You chose not to wrap her around the figure but rather to paint Flotsam and Jetsam on the back of the head. Was this a design choice from the start?
Rust: I wanted to do something more creative than just have her back be on the back. I'm big fans of official figures that incorporate something extra, other than just the back of the character, like the Park 5 Clock having the hand shadow, or Mother Gothel having the decaying face, or the 9" Mara having one of the snake murals. Having another reference to the character is more interesting than just showing the back of the character's head.

My website is http://www.rustthisworld.com
Facebook is http://www.facebook.com/rustthisworld
and Twitter is @rustthisworld

No comments:

Post a Comment