Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Spotlight On: Custom Vinylmation Artist Ryan Marella



Destination Vinylmation: You created a whole line of Haunted Mansion vinyls including the Hitchhiking ghosts, Hatbox ghost, Executioner, Singing Busts and more. Which one are you most proud of?
Ryan Marella: I'm most  proud of the Hitchhiking ghosts, capturing each different expressions was a lot of fun.

DV: I really like the gritty look of your second set of hitchhiking ghosts. They almost have a modern walking dead feel as opposed to the more Disney like ghost design. What made you go back to re create this trio?
RM: I actually started with the Hatbox ghost. I searched online for the best photo to use and  found Guillermo Del Toro's version. I knew that this was the one I wanted to paint with  a more detailed and scarier over all look.

DV: How hard was it getting the right color mixture to give them a ghostly feel yet capture all the shadows and detail?
RM: This was the fun part , mixing all the colors together and seeing how each color would enhance the other was worth the time I put in each ghost.

DV: I really love the use of ears as the brick wall behind them. How much planning when into these designs and how long did these take to design and create?
RM: I did most of my sketching and planning while working on the vinyl...ideas popped in as I was painting. I wanted to ears on this new version to have detail as well and not black like my first version of the  ghosts.

No comments:

Post a Comment